I haven’t blogged in a while. I wish I had a great excuse like I was on a trek to find my mantra or saving the earth from albino mind chiggers. Sigh, just really busy and haven’t been finding the mojo. That I hope to change over the next few weeks as we start a new goal season as I wrap up this year of crazy goals.
Marathon…1 month away.
I signed up early this year for the Top Of Utah Marathon, thinking hey I have months to train, piece of cake. Ha!. I don’t think the 26.2 miles are as extreme as is the training plan leading up to the race. How do people find the time? I didn’t do myself any favors with my summer race schedule, but still 30-40 plus miles a week…insanity.
Past two months
Since this summer started I have run a total of 3 half marathons
1. Provo Canyon 6/8 Time 2:14:04 —was happy as this was my first after shoulder surgery
2. Timpanogos Half and Sogonapmit Marathon 7/27 Time 2:07:55 (they have me toeing the line, so this is actually about 1 minute over as I don’t crowd the start line) PR
3. Hobble Creek 8/17 Time 2:13:39 Eh, I have some injuries, was just a fun run
Plus I participated in the Epic Cache Teton 205 mile relay between Logan, Ut and Jackson, Wy…where I was attacked by Mosquitos.
I am the yellow dot in the lower left side, trying to kill as many bugs as possible while not eating too many…yuck.
Team Off the Couch…I am the big guy in the middle, called Big Bird by one teammate.
So now here is my next month leading up to my marathon
1. Color Run 8/24 – Awesome as I get to run with the wife and 5 year old son, really looking forward to an easy jog
2. Disney Half Marathon 9/1 – sea level but also pretty flat – family running weekend, wife 10k, 5 year old son 200 meter dash
3. Mt Nebo Half Marathon 9/7 – only 6 days, but hopefully I am feeling stronger than right now, plan to do a few miles later in the day.
That then leaves me two weeks to prep for the full. YIKES!
On the PR run for the Timp Half, all of the downhill left a lasting impression on my left calf. I had been dealing with a right calf issue for a while this spring, but new shoes seemed to have squashed that. This is more of a lingering strain that just won’t go away with rest, massage or foam rolling. I am actually going to order some more supportive Mizuno shoes in an effort to lesson the load on the legs, so hopefully that will help. I also ran a couple of times with compression socks, which also helps on recovery, but I am not a fan of the socks. I ordered some compression sleeves to go with the new shoes in the hopes of recovering by the marathon. Wish me luck.
New shoes, Mizuno Wave Enigma 2 Not my legs, plus I will wear shoes and socks.
I also decided to crack/bruise a rib. I did this by diving over the back seat of the van during the relay race, in between leg 1 and 2, while recovering from the asthma attack brought on by the hundreds of mosquito bites. It didn’t feel good at the time, but I didn’t think much of it until two days later, then now 1.5 weeks later. During the half this past weekend, it was ok for about the first 8 miles and then a funny step…bam…hard to breath when you have a rib injury. My goal is to move to a treadmill for a few runs to bring down the shock and hopefully just work my way over enough time where this heals as well.
That is the past few months and next few weeks in a nutshell, what have you guys been up to?